Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other GenocidesBreaking News
tags: Holocaust, Arizona, genocide, teaching history
The Arizona State Board of Education voted Monday to make learning on the Holocaust and other genocides requirements for middle and high school students.
Instruction on these subjects have been a part of the board’s History and Social Science standards since 2018. Now the board is emphasizing their importance by adding them to the minimum course of study and competency goals and graduation requirements for Arizona students.
This change mirrors a House bill that was introduced earlier this year, but died when the Legislative session was cut short due to COVID-19.
“We don’t have that much time left with our Holocaust survivors and to do something like this to enshrine their powerful message — both of history and what happened — but also of hope to making sure that it never happens again, I think is one of the most important things that the board can do," said state Rep. Aaron Lieberman, one of the bill’s sponsors, during the board's Monday meeting.
He cited a recent study which found that two-thirds of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed in Arizona did not know that 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust. Esther Basch, a Holocaust survivor, and her daughter Rachel Basch Turet can attest to this. They told the board that many of the people they speak with know about World War II, but have no idea of "the extent of horrors that happened to the Jews in Europe.” Basch's story has had a great impact on the many schools the pair have spoken at, her daughter said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Biden Defends Bull Connor Analogy for Opponents of Voting Rights Bill
- Museum of Natural History in New York Removes Theodore Roosevelt Statue
- Another Hendrix Legacy Lawsuit: Family Seeks to Block Royalty Claim by Heirs of Bandmates
- A Texas-Born Princess and Former Scandalous Washington Wife May Lose Roman Villa in Epic Inheritance Fight
- Will SCOTUS Uphold Claim of Heirs for Return of Pissarro Painting Stolen by Nazis?