Edinburgh University Ditches David Hume over Slavery LinkBreaking News
tags: racism, philosophy, David Hume, Enlightenment
A giant of the Scottish Enlightenment has suffered the indignity of being “cancelled” by one of the country’s most prestigious seats of learning, hundreds of years after his death.
David Hume, the philosopher, historian and economist, helped to define the critical thinking which underpins modern scientific thought through his scepticism over the existence of religious miracles.
An online petition claiming Hume used “racist epithets”, made in July, has attracted fewer than 2,000 signatures.
However, the university bowed to pressure yesterday, announcing the tower will now be known as 40 George Square.
comments powered by Disqus
- How the Welfare State Became the Neoliberal Order (Review)
- Ibram X. Kendi: 100 Most Influential of 2020
- Allegations of Racism have Marked Trump’s Presidency and Become Key Issue as Election Nears
- Capitalism Isn't Working Anymore. Here's How The Pandemic Could Change It Forever
- How the Black Vote Became a Monolith