Calling Racism A ‘Leftist Lie,’ White Vandals Target California Black Lives Matter SloganBreaking News
tags: racism, memorials, public history, teaching history
Gomez said he feared the man’s statements reflected the rhetoric of President Trump. In a speech in front of Mount Rushmore ahead of Independence Day, for example, the president described protesters as violent “angry mobs” and decried their vandalism of Confederate monuments and statues of slave-owning presidents such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
Trump described the movement as a “left-wing cultural revolution,” saying “children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe the men and women who built it were not heroes but villains.”
“This radical view of American history is a web of lies,” he added.
Gomez said although the vandalism was disheartening, the way the community mobilized to repair the damage was inspiring. Within an hour on Saturday, volunteers had repainted the slogan.
The black paint, he said, somehow ended up making it pop a little more.
comments powered by Disqus
- It Really Is Time to Get Rid of the Filibuster
- A Tale of Atomic Bombs and Paper Cranes: Harry Truman's Grandson Pursues Reconciliation
- The Real Reason the American Economy Boomed After World War II
- Florence Revives Medieval Plague-Era ‘Wine Windows’ for Contactless Service
- Tulane Canceled a Talk by the Author of an Acclaimed Anti-Racism Book After Students Said the Event Was 'Violent'
- Experiencing War Far From the Battlefield
- Isabel Wilkerson’s World-Historical Theory of Race and Caste
- Queens Powhatan and Pocahontas Democratic Club Considers Name Change
- Eminent Scholar of Early U.S., Bernard Bailyn, Dies at 97
- Manhattan Beach to Present Bruce's Beach History, Community Awaits Historians' Voices