Indian police detain historian Guha at protest against citizenship lawHistorians in the News
tags: historians, India, detention
Indian police detained one of the country’s most respected historians and intellectuals, Ramachandra Guha, on Thursday during a demonstration in the southern city of Bengaluru against a new citizenship law based on religion.
Indian news channels showed footage of Guha being dragged by three policemen near barricades erected to hold back protesters challenging the law, which critics say is prejudicial to Muslims and undermines the country’s secular constitution.
comments powered by Disqus
- Boston Refused to Close Schools During the 1918 Flu. Then Children Began to Die
- Trump Won’t Win by Doubling-Down on his Racist Appeals but the Right’s Open Bigotry Comes at a Cost
- What to Stream: A Blazing Interview with Orson Welles By Richard Brody
- Trump’s Attack on the Postal Service Is a Threat to Democracy—and to Rural America
- Kamala Harris and the Growing Political Power of Black Women