Bolsonaro Takes Aim at Brazil’s HistoryBreaking News
tags: history, Brazil, Bolsonaro
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has long declared war on the news media. His next target is more ambitious—history.
He has denied that Portuguese colonizers were responsible for slavery here and blamed Africans instead. He has rejected that the 1964-1985 military dictatorship, which he served, was actually a dictatorship. In Israel this month, he said that the Nazis were “without doubt” leftists.
“I have the truth on my side,” Mr. Bolsonaro said in a recent television interview, explaining why he called on the armed forces last month to commemorate the anniversary of Brazil’s 1964 coup that ended democratic rule.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Complicated History of Abortion and Abortion Law in the United States
- Discovery of Earliest Known Record of Mayan Calendar
- Buffalo Shooting Centuries in Making, Say Historians of Slavery and Reconstruction
- Isaac Chotiner Interviews Kathleen Belew on White Power and the Buffalo Mass Shooting
- What if Mental Illness Isn't All In Your Head?