Electoral College is a hot topic again: Calling James MadisonBreaking News
tags: Founding Fathers, Electoral College, James Madison, 2020 Election
Electoral College reform is suddenly all the rage. Elizabeth Warren endorsed abolishing the Electoral College in her CNN town hall. Beto O'Rourke and Kamala Harris soon joined the chorus. In response, President Donald Trump slammed the idea on Twitter -- but back in 2012, he'd described the Electoral College as a "disaster for our democracy."
So, is this simply a case of Democrats trying to change the rules after winning the popular vote but losing the presidency twice in two decades?
Is it an insult to the Founding Fathers' original intent?
Or could it actually happen?
First of all, it turns out that this isn't a new idea at all.
In fact, the Electoral College has been "targeted for reform or abolition some 700 times" over the course of our republic-- more than any other part of the Constitution -- wrote Jesse Wegman, a member of the New York Times editorial board. He is writing a book on the subject.
The Electoral College was the subject of intense debate among the Founding Fathers. They fought about it for months and didn't settle on a plan until the very last days.
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers