President Trump claims a wheel is older than a wall in plea for border wall. Is he right?Breaking News
tags: ancient history, Trump, wall
President Trump claimed during his visit to the U.S. southern borderon Thursday that wheels predated the creation of the wall — launching almost immediate reaction on social media.
But was he correct?
The president, during his comments in a roundtable event with lawmakers and Border Patrol officials, made the argument for funding a wall along the U.S. - Mexican border by criticizing Democrats and dubbing it a medieval solution that works.
"They say ‘a wall is medieval.’ Well, so is a wheel. A wheel is older than a wall," Trump said. "The wheel is older than the wall, you know that? There are some things that work. You know what? A wheel works and a wall works. Nothing like a wall."
When it comes to walls, one of the first known walls used in civilization to enclose a city was the Wall of Jericho, which surrounded one of the first permanent settlements.
comments powered by Disqus
- Erika Lee and Carol Anderson on Myths and Realities of Race in American History
- Banished Podcast: Sunshine State's Descent Into Darkness
- Caroline Dodds Pennock on The Indigenous Americans Who Visited Europe
- Why Can't the Democrats Build a Governing Majority? (Review of Timothy Shenk)
- Victimhood and Vengeance: The Reactionary Roots of Christian Nationalism