President Trump claims a wheel is older than a wall in plea for border wall. Is he right?Breaking News
tags: ancient history, Trump, wall
President Trump claimed during his visit to the U.S. southern borderon Thursday that wheels predated the creation of the wall — launching almost immediate reaction on social media.
But was he correct?
The president, during his comments in a roundtable event with lawmakers and Border Patrol officials, made the argument for funding a wall along the U.S. - Mexican border by criticizing Democrats and dubbing it a medieval solution that works.
"They say ‘a wall is medieval.’ Well, so is a wheel. A wheel is older than a wall," Trump said. "The wheel is older than the wall, you know that? There are some things that work. You know what? A wheel works and a wall works. Nothing like a wall."
When it comes to walls, one of the first known walls used in civilization to enclose a city was the Wall of Jericho, which surrounded one of the first permanent settlements.
comments powered by Disqus
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Ties the History of Housing Discrimination to Reparations
- Spain Pledged Citizenship to Sephardic Jews. Now They Feel Betrayed
- ‘He Had a Life Before Death’: Remembering Emmett Till for the Child He Was
- Remembering Bob Moses, 1935–2021
- Like JFK, Biden Has Good Reason to Be Wary of the Military
- Haiti, Cuba, and the History of U.S. Involvement in the Caribbean (Virtual Event July 29)
- The Past and Present of the U.S. Postal Service
- Yu Ruxin is Rescuing China’s Muzzled Past, One Footnote at a Time
- A History of Gymnastics from Ancient Greece to Tokyo 2020
- What Erotica Reveals about Society: A Conversation with Pernilla Myrne