Trump called Ulysses S. Grant an alcoholic. Here’s what historians say about that.Breaking News
tags: Trump, Ulysses S Grant, Fake News
At a rally in Ohio last week, President Trump gave a shout-out to native son Ulysses S. Grant as an “incredible” Civil War general. But much of his praise focused on one aspect of the general’s service: “He drank a little too much.”
President Abraham Lincoln’s advisers, Trump told his audience, were so worried about Grant’s drinking that they said to Lincoln: “ ’You can’t use him anymore, he’s an alcoholic,’ and Lincoln said, ‘I don’t care if he’s an alcoholic, frankly, get me six or seven just like him.’ ”
The story was a mangled version of a famous Lincoln quote published as early as Oct. 30, 1863, in the New York Times: “When someone charged Gen. Grant, in the President’s hearing, with drinking too much liquor, Mr. Lincoln, recalling Gen. Grant’s successes, said that if he could find out what brand of whiskey Grant drank, he would send a barrel of it to all the other commanders.”
The quote was probably fake news. Lincoln denied saying it. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of