Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’Historians in the News
tags: racism, New Zealand, Taika Waititi, Ghost South Road
A historian is backing up Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is "racist as f**k" in a new book.
Ghost South Road sheds light on the racist history of south Auckland and New Zealand, according to Dr Scott Hamilton, the historian behind it.
"I wanted to expose the secret history of Auckland and New Zealand," Dr Hamilton told NZME.
The book delves into the story of Great South Rd, which was built from Auckland through the Waikato by the British army.
"The invasion of the Waikato was legitimated by racism and it cast a long shadow," Dr Hamilton said.
Looking through archives and old newspapers, Dr Hamilton discovered Māori were treated as "enemies of the state".
His research found Māori were excluded from bars, cinemas and barber shops in south Auckland.
"For much of the 20th century it was hard to get a drink in places like Papakura and Pukekohe if you were the wrong colour," he said. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- A Brief History of GOP Attempts to Kill the Education Dept.
- New York Is Building a New Monument to Women’s History—And It Wants the Public’s Help
- Charleston Apologizes for City’s Role in Slave Trade
- With 'America First,' Trump Challenges The World Constructed After World War II
- Newly Discovered ‘Limb Pit’ Reveals Civil War Surgeons’ Bitter Choices
- Conservative Mark Bauerlein says humanities faculty are in denial about their own role in the decline of the humanities
- President Trump Is Looking for Suggestions for Pardons
- Black history is still largely ignored, 70 years after Empire Windrush reached Britain
- Senegal historian decries long shadows of colonialism
- “As if George Wallace had won in 1968″