Illinois Senate plan would include LGBT history in schoolsBreaking News
tags: education, gay history, LGBT
Illinois senators advanced a plan requiring public schools to teach a unit on the role and societal contributions of gays, lesbians and other LGBT individuals.
The Senate Education committee endorsed the measure 8-2 Tuesday. If enacted, Illinois would become just the second state to approve an LGBT inclusive curriculum.
"People learn about Jane Addams, for example, but don't know she's a lesbian," said Brian Johnson, CEO of the LGBT organization Equality Illinois. "We don't think there is true justice for the LGBT community unless we can learn about our history."
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama