Illinois Senate plan would include LGBT history in schoolsBreaking News
tags: education, gay history, LGBT
Illinois senators advanced a plan requiring public schools to teach a unit on the role and societal contributions of gays, lesbians and other LGBT individuals.
The Senate Education committee endorsed the measure 8-2 Tuesday. If enacted, Illinois would become just the second state to approve an LGBT inclusive curriculum.
"People learn about Jane Addams, for example, but don't know she's a lesbian," said Brian Johnson, CEO of the LGBT organization Equality Illinois. "We don't think there is true justice for the LGBT community unless we can learn about our history."
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Tom Engelhardt Revisits His First Piece of Critical History – 48 Years Later
- Heather Cox Richardson: Trump isn’t the first president to compare himself to Jesus — the last one who did ‘planned to lead his white supremacist supporters to victory’
- Historians' archival research looks quite different in the digital age
- Senate Historian Daniel S. Holt Featured on Political Theatre Podcast
- The Way We Do the Things We Do: Making History-Making Visible