Historian H.R. McMaster out, John Bolton is inBreaking News
tags: HR McMaster
● John Bolton's Love of Bombs by Lawrence Davidson
In a separate statement, McMaster said he was requesting retirement from the U.S. Army effective this summer. "I am thankful to President Donald J. Trump for the opportunity to serve him and our nation as national security advisor," McMaster said. "I am grateful for the friendship and support of the members of the National Security Council who worked together to provide the President with the best options to protect and advance our national interests."
In an additional statement issued by the White House, President Trump said McMaster "helped develop our America First National Security Strategy, revitalize our alliances in the Middle East, smash ISIS, bring North Korea to the table, and strengthen our nation's prosperity. This work and those achievements will ensure that America builds on its economic and military advantages. I thank General McMaster and his family for their service and wish them the very best."
A White House official said Thursday that Trump and McMaster mutually agreed on the resignation, which the two men have been discussing for some time. The timeline for McMaster's departure was expedited, the official also said, because both men felt it was important to have the new team in place, "instead of constant speculation."
McMaster's departure "was not related to any one moment or incident; rather it was the result of ongoing conversations between the two," the official also said.
comments powered by Disqus
- At Summit Meetings, Kremlin Often Tried to Steamroller U.S. Presidents
- How A Tariff Loving Utah Senator Became A Cautionary Tale About Protectionism
- Pompeii excavation project reveals secrets
- In Ireland, Drought and a Drone Revealed the Outline of an Ancient Henge
- Sarcophagus Found. Contents Unknown. (‘No Guessing, Please.’)
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie
- Partisans assail historians for judging the past by today’s standards. Here’s why they’re wrong, says classicist