Historian H.R. McMaster out, John Bolton is inBreaking News
tags: HR McMaster
● John Bolton's Love of Bombs by Lawrence Davidson
In a separate statement, McMaster said he was requesting retirement from the U.S. Army effective this summer. "I am thankful to President Donald J. Trump for the opportunity to serve him and our nation as national security advisor," McMaster said. "I am grateful for the friendship and support of the members of the National Security Council who worked together to provide the President with the best options to protect and advance our national interests."
In an additional statement issued by the White House, President Trump said McMaster "helped develop our America First National Security Strategy, revitalize our alliances in the Middle East, smash ISIS, bring North Korea to the table, and strengthen our nation's prosperity. This work and those achievements will ensure that America builds on its economic and military advantages. I thank General McMaster and his family for their service and wish them the very best."
A White House official said Thursday that Trump and McMaster mutually agreed on the resignation, which the two men have been discussing for some time. The timeline for McMaster's departure was expedited, the official also said, because both men felt it was important to have the new team in place, "instead of constant speculation."
McMaster's departure "was not related to any one moment or incident; rather it was the result of ongoing conversations between the two," the official also said.
comments powered by Disqus
- "People don’t realize": Trump and the historical facts he wants you to know
- Autism doctor Hans Asperger collaborated with the Nazis, new research shows
- University of Wisconsin, Madison to reckon with Ku Klux Klan history, but won't remove KKK member names from buildings
- School responds to assignment asking students to list 'positives' of slavery
- Lost in Battle, Found by Amateur Sleuths: An ‘Unknown’ Marine
- Is Sean Wilentz right that liberals believe in capitalism and progressives don’t?
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad