Presidential Historian Michael Beschloss Calls Meeting With Trump A ‘Dream Come True’ For Kim Jong UnHistorians in the News
tags: North Korea
Presidential historian Michael Beschloss called the planned meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un a “dream come true” for the North Korean dictator.
In an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, Beschloss said a summit with the leader of the United States – all of it in front of cameras, no doubt – would give Kim Jong Un the legitimacy he has always wanted.
"For Kim, the leader of North Korea, this is a dream come true. He’s got a summit. He’s wanted that for decades – he and his family, his ancestors who had this job, too. He’s going to be dealing with a neophyte president who will only have a few weeks to prepare and a president who needs some good publicity. Donald Trump has got low poll ratings, he’s got a congressional election coming up, Mueller is closing in, even Stormy Daniels. This is someone who may try too hard to have a bargain with Kim that’s going to get him some good publicity and that’s not a good situation for a president to be in if he’s trying to drive a hard bargain."
comments powered by Disqus
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- How American High Schools Teach The Iraq War
- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained
- Florida to replace Confederate statue in US Capitol
- 43% of Americans still think the Iraq War was a good idea
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa
- University of Chicago’s Hanna Holborn Gray has written a memoir
- Historians’ assessment of Obama’s legacy
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history