Presidential Historian Michael Beschloss Calls Meeting With Trump A ‘Dream Come True’ For Kim Jong UnHistorians in the News
tags: North Korea
Presidential historian Michael Beschloss called the planned meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un a “dream come true” for the North Korean dictator.
In an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, Beschloss said a summit with the leader of the United States – all of it in front of cameras, no doubt – would give Kim Jong Un the legitimacy he has always wanted.
"For Kim, the leader of North Korea, this is a dream come true. He’s got a summit. He’s wanted that for decades – he and his family, his ancestors who had this job, too. He’s going to be dealing with a neophyte president who will only have a few weeks to prepare and a president who needs some good publicity. Donald Trump has got low poll ratings, he’s got a congressional election coming up, Mueller is closing in, even Stormy Daniels. This is someone who may try too hard to have a bargain with Kim that’s going to get him some good publicity and that’s not a good situation for a president to be in if he’s trying to drive a hard bargain."
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says