Inside the London Café Accused of Glorifying ‘Racist’ Winston ChurchillBreaking News
tags: Winston Churchill
A love-him-or-loathe-him debate that’s divided Britain for more than 100 years burst back to life in a trendy North London café.
The bemused middle-class lunch crowd at Blighty was left spluttering into their flat whites when a small cadre of protesters burst into the dining room and staged an awkward, theatrical protest against the establishment’s décor.
Students from the School of Oriental and African Studies—part of the University of London—barged into the dining room at around 12:30 p.m. two Saturdays ago and recited some of Churchill’s quotes, including: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”
They said Churchill was a racist and a war criminal.
comments powered by Disqus
- It’s the 50th anniversary of the day Trump left college and (briefly) faced the draft
- Hitler Did Not Escape to the Moon or Argentina, He’s Still Dead, Study Concludes
- Former New Orleans mayor presented with JFK award for removing Confederate statues
- Which is the greatest 'witch hunt' in US political history?
- A Fake Site Posted an Apology for the Mormon Church’s History of Racism
- Yuval Noah Harari: Brexit will not halt drive to 'human unification'
- When did the Census begin to ask about citizenship?
- As historians and New York City educators, here’s what we hope teachers hear in New York City's new anti-bias training
- Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’
- Howard M. Sachar, GWU scholar and ‘trailblazer’ of Jewish history, dies at 90