Inside the London Café Accused of Glorifying ‘Racist’ Winston ChurchillBreaking News
tags: Winston Churchill
A love-him-or-loathe-him debate that’s divided Britain for more than 100 years burst back to life in a trendy North London café.
The bemused middle-class lunch crowd at Blighty was left spluttering into their flat whites when a small cadre of protesters burst into the dining room and staged an awkward, theatrical protest against the establishment’s décor.
Students from the School of Oriental and African Studies—part of the University of London—barged into the dining room at around 12:30 p.m. two Saturdays ago and recited some of Churchill’s quotes, including: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”
They said Churchill was a racist and a war criminal.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama