Another historian running for public officeHistorians in the News
n a Facebook post, Patti Minter, history professor and former faculty regent on the WKU Board of Regents, said she plans to file to run for State Representative for the 20th House District of Kentucky, a position previously held by Rep. Jody Richards (D).
Earlier today, Richards announced he would not seek re-election for the 20th district seat following a 42-year long career in the legislature.
"Thank you to Representative Jody Richards for his long and distinguished service to the people of our district. I will work hard to serve and to fight for the people of Warren County," Minter said on Facebook. "I'll share more ideas and listen to yours in the coming days, and I ask for your support as we fight for a better Kentucky."
According to her WKU bio, Minter serves on the Board of Directors for the American Society for Legal History and on the Board of Directors of the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky.
She served as the inaugural chair of the WKU University Senate from 2000-2001 and from 2007 to 2014 served as the elected Faculty Regent on the WKU Board of Regents.
Minter is also a a founding member of Bowling Green Fairness, a group which has been lobbying the Bowling Green City Commission to adopt a fairness ordinance making sexual orientation and gender identity as protected categories to existing civil rights laws.
comments powered by Disqus
- New findings from Penn Slavery Project show how U. benefitted financially from enslaved labor
- Is it anti-Semitic for President Trump to call Chuck Todd ‘sleepy eyes’?
- Human Evolution: Walking Upright Evolved at Least 3.6 Million Years Ago—Long Before Modern Humans Appeared
- Why a primary challenge to Trump is likely to fail
- Smog and Disasters Spurred the Laws Trump Wants to Undo
- Feds charge controversial Kent State University professor Julio Pino with lying to FBI
- New Yorker publishes profile of H.R. McMaster just weeks after Trump fires him
- Dartmouth historian Matthew J. Garcia says conservative partisans in Arizona have taken over a civics school he once ran
- Berkeley’s Carolyn Merchant explains what ecofeminism is
- University of Southern California's David Kang says Korea is the only place on earth where the Cold War continues