Latest Batch of J.F.K. Assassination Records ReleasedBreaking News
tags: JFK assassination, JFK files
Related Link Click HERE for HNN's Full Coverage of JFK Files
The National Archives posted another huge trove of records related to the John F. Kennedy assassination Thursday, though nearly all of the 13,000 files are previously released documents that apparently contain fewer redactions.
It was not immediately clear how much new declassified material is contained in Thursday’s release. A small number of records related to the president’s murder by Lee Harvey Oswald on Nov. 22, 1963, appear to be entirely new.
One top-secret NSA document from December 12, 1963 – which still had blanked-out sections – contains a memo reporting that the Cambodian government was encouraging its people to celebrate JFK’s death.
Another new record appears to be an NSA report on Britain’s reaction to the assassination. According to a top-secret “dinar” — a report relying on intercepted communications — Britons were wary of what Lyndon B. Johnson would do on the world stage.
While “some circles in Britain believe that Johnson is an astute politician who is skillful in figuring and evaluating and a conservative who is practiced in conducting a policy of conciliation,” the report said, others “think it possible that [Soviet Premier Nikita] Khrushchev will have no confidence in him and that [French President Charles] De Gaulle may seize the opportunity to activate his plans in Europe.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Odds of a Contested November Election Are on the Rise
- Penguin Classics and Others Work to Diversify Offerings From the Canon
- Coping With Coronavirus Disappointments: Five Lessons From Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- The Case Against Waging ‘War’ on the Coronavirus
- Helen Hunt Brings Trailblazing War Journalist to Life in "World On Fire"
- And The Winners of the 2020 Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards Are ...
- AHA's Committee on LGBT History Announces Hardship Grants
- What Both the Left and the Right Get Wrong About the Coronavirus Economic Crisis
- As COVID-19 Spreads, Mary Barra Needs To Denounce Trump As Bad For Capitalism
- Pandemics and the Shape of Human History