Popular historian John Holland argues in a new book that the Nazis lost the war through “spectacular inefficiency”Historians in the News
tags: WWII, John Holland, The War in the West
Germany lost the Second World War because it was “spectacularly inefficient” and its tanks kept breaking down, according to a new history.
Britain and America, by contrast, were able to manufacture tanks and warplanes at a far quicker rate, and the equipment was more reliable when used in action.
The controversial new thesis, which seeks to challenge the “myth” of an efficient and well equipped Nazi war machine versus the make-do-and-mend British, is propounded in a new book by historian James Holland.
He said the Wehrmacht’s iconic Tiger tank was a marvel of complex engineering, but too liable to failure, with 50 per cent of all Panzer fatalities in the war due to mechanical faults.
“A very different picture emerges and one that makes the Germans look frankly pretty inefficient and the British and Americans pretty good,” he said.
“We were much more efficient at making tanks and planes than the Germans - they were spectacularly inefficient.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says