Hatch history lesson for Trump: US would have gone 'straight to socialism' without the filibusterBreaking News
tags: filibuster, socialism, Trump, Orrin Hatch
Sen. Orrin Hatch criticized President Donald Trump Tuesday over his call to end the filibuster, saying the US "would have gone straight to socialism" without the Senate rule.
"He apparently hasn't served in a legislative body because had we not had the filibuster rule this country would have been gone a long time ago -- would have gone straight to socialism," the Utah Republican told CNN Tuesday.
Hatch also cautioned Trump against being lulled into thinking the politics of a shutdown would be good for him and other Republicans.
"I think that may be wishful thinking on his part because shutting down the government is not going to work. Republicans always get blamed even though the Democrats are big part of the shutdown and that just doesn't work," Hatch said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama