Hatch history lesson for Trump: US would have gone 'straight to socialism' without the filibusterBreaking News
tags: filibuster, socialism, Trump, Orrin Hatch
Sen. Orrin Hatch criticized President Donald Trump Tuesday over his call to end the filibuster, saying the US "would have gone straight to socialism" without the Senate rule.
"He apparently hasn't served in a legislative body because had we not had the filibuster rule this country would have been gone a long time ago -- would have gone straight to socialism," the Utah Republican told CNN Tuesday.
Hatch also cautioned Trump against being lulled into thinking the politics of a shutdown would be good for him and other Republicans.
"I think that may be wishful thinking on his part because shutting down the government is not going to work. Republicans always get blamed even though the Democrats are big part of the shutdown and that just doesn't work," Hatch said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Samuel Chase: The one Supreme Court justice who has ever been impeached
- Maryland Commission Sets Out To Investigate State's Lynching History
- How Joe Biden has Historically Played a Role in Mass Incarceration in the United States
- Crazy Horse Monument to Native American History is Built on Controversy
- William F. Buckley Jr. vs. James Baldwin: A racial showdown on the American dream