Trump tours The Hermitage, lays wreath on Andrew Jackson's tombBreaking News
tags: Supreme Court, Andrew Jackson, Trump
Related Link Jackson and Trump: How Two Populist Presidents Compare (NYT)
President Donald Trump on Wednesday toured The Hermitage, placed a wreath on President Andrew Jackson's tomb and called the seventh president the "people's president."
Trump, the first sitting president to visit since Ronald Reagan, toured Jackson's mansion, walked to his tomb saluting and laid a wreath as taps played in the background — all marking the 250th anniversary on Wednesday of Jackson's birth.
The visit by the 45th president is historic. Jackson's populist politics have resonated with Trump. Upon moving into the White House last month, the new president hung a portrait of Jackson in the Oval Office.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama