Vietnam draft avoider Donald Trump condemned by veterans for wearing military outfitBreaking News
tags: Vietnam War, Trump, Draft deferral
Donald Trump has been criticised by veterans for donning a military style bomber jacket and cap while visiting a Navy ship, despite receiving five deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam.
Speaking in Virginia, the President promised to expand the US Navy to 12 carriers before an audience of sailors on the new USS Gerald R Ford.
But some critics accused Mr Trump of ‘cosplaying’ as a military man and highlighted his five deferrals from the conflict in the sixties.
Mr Trump told an audience of sailors and shipbuilders: “You know what; they just gave me this beautiful jacket. They said, ‘Here Mr President, please take this home.’”
“I said, ‘Let me wear it,’ and then they gave me the beautiful hat and I said, ‘You know, maybe I’ll do that’. We have a great ‘Make America great again’ hat but I said, ‘This is a special day, we’re wearing this, right?’”
comments powered by Disqus
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Industrial Toxins
- Did Abraham Lincoln sleep here?
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- The next president of the OAH will be ... Yale's Joanne Meyerowitz
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority