Arkansas School Board Member’s Blackface Photo Leads to Calls for ResignationBreaking News
tags: racism, Arkansas
Ted Bonner, an eastern-Arkansas school board member, is being called on to resign by the Arkansas NAACP and several residents after photos surfaced of him wearing blackface as a costume for a Halloween party while also holding a sign referring to the Black Lives Matter movement, the Associated Press reports.
On Monday, during a Blevins School Board meeting, the NAACP and others demanded Bonner’s resignation. Bonner, however, who has two years left in his term, has refused to resign.
According to AP, during the meeting, Bonner, who is white, refused to address the question as to why he dressed up in blackface.
comments powered by Disqus
- "Great Replacement" Shows how Many Americans Have Embraced Whites-Only Democracy
- Margaret Atwood: I Created Gilead, but the Supreme Court Might Make it Real
- "Great Replacement" Rhetoric has not Historically Been Out of Place in the Halls of Power
- Montpelier Board Appoints 11 Members from Descendants Committee
- Zemmour Acquitted of Holocaust Denial after Crediting Nazi Collaborator with Saving Jews
- Isaac Chotiner Interviews Kathleen Belew on White Power and the Buffalo Mass Shooting
- What if Mental Illness Isn't All In Your Head?
- Nursing Clio Project Connects Health, Gender and History
- Historian Leslie Reagan on the History of Abortion and Abortion Rights
- Mellon Foundation Event: Chinese American History, Asian American Experiences (May 19)