The Restoration of the United States Capitol DomeBreaking News
tags: restoration, United States Capitol
Click image for more pictures.
Beginning in 2013, the Architect of the Capitol began an enormous restoration of the dome of the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. Earlier this month, the restoration was completed, at a cost of $59.5 million. More than a thousand cracks were repaired, interior and exterior decorations scraped, cleaned, and restored, and 1,215 gallons of paint were used to repaint the exterior. Collected here are some images from the 1860s when the current dome was originally built, some images of the recent restoration process, and a few shots of the newly-restored structure. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Danger Of Depoliticising Black Power Activism
- Trump Wants $5 Billion From TikTok Deal for History Project
- Donald Trump vs. the Ivy League: An Election-Year Battle
- How Jimi Hendrix, Racism and Grunge Intersect, 50 Years after the Guitarist’s Death
- Conservatives Are Already Whitewashing the Trump Years
- Capitalism Isn't Working Anymore. Here's How The Pandemic Could Change It Forever
- How the Black Vote Became a Monolith
- Dive Into John F. Kennedy’s Daily CIA Updates
- “Nationalism Will Run Roughshod Over Democracy”: What Can Nazi Germany Tell Us About Trump’s GOP? (Podcast)
- Stephen F. Cohen, Influential Historian of Russia, Dies at 81