A satirical ‘history of the Jewish people’ released by the Israeli government offends just about everyoneBreaking News
tags: Israel, Israel Foreign Ministry
Israel’s Foreign Ministry made a little video entitled “Welcome to the home of the Jewish people.” It stars the characters Jacob and Rachel, a nice Jewish couple, living in a modern suburban-style house called the “Land of Israel,” which is invaded by Assyrians, Greeks, Arabs, Crusaders, the British and others.
The intended audience is clearly the outside world — it is in English, not Hebrew or Arabic — and is billed by Israeli diplomats as “a short history of the Jewish people.”
Cartoons and video like this are part of a new trend by Israel to conduct its public diplomacy — known as "hasbara" or explanation— via social media.
comments powered by Disqus
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- How a team of sophisticated forgers at an Essex country house fooled the Nazis
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law
- How One Amateur Historian Brought Us the Stories of African-Americans Who Knew Abraham Lincoln
- Dartmouth’s Randall Balmer: Under Trump, America's religious right is rewriting its code of ethics
- Was This Technology historian plagiarized? Sure seems like she was.