Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in HistoryBreaking News
tags: election 2016, Trump, GOP Convention
The percentage of Black delegates at this year’s Republican convention in Cleveland has dropped to its lowest level in recorded history — around 0.7 percent — with only 18 Black delegates out of a total of 2,472.
The RNC does not break out Latino or Asian delegates, and the breakout of those delegates does not appear to be tracked by third parties.
The data compiled by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, which has recorded the number of Black delegates at every GOP convention back to 1912, found that the highest number and percentage of Black delegates at a Republican convention was for the re-nomination of President George W. Bush in 2004. During that gathering in New York City, 167 Black delegates represented 6.5 percent of all GOP delegates, a number that has since plummeted.
During the last presidential election in 2012, 47 Black delegates represented 2.1 percent of the total GOP delegates at the convention in Tampa, and in 2008, when Sen. John McCain was nominated to run against then-Sen. Barack Obama, 39 Black delegates represented 1.6 percent of GOP delegates in St. Paul, Minnesota.
comments powered by Disqus
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- How a team of sophisticated forgers at an Essex country house fooled the Nazis
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law
- How One Amateur Historian Brought Us the Stories of African-Americans Who Knew Abraham Lincoln
- History Coalition asks historians to "Urge Your Representative to Join the Congressional History Caucus"
- Dartmouth’s Randall Balmer: Under Trump, America's religious right is rewriting its code of ethics
- Was This Technology historian plagiarized? Sure seems like she was.