Activists have organized a new group: Historians Against TrumpHistorians in the News
tags: election 2016, Trump, Historians Against Trump, HISTAT
HISTAT [Historians Against Trump] is a group of professors, school teachers, public historians, museum professionals, independent scholars and graduate students united by the belief that the candidacy of Donald J. Trump poses a threat to American democracy. HISTAT does not align itself with any political party or candidate, but operates in cooperation with Cleveland-based political action committee Stand Together Against Trump and joins groups like Writers On Trump and Citizen Therapists in organizing to defend their professions’ ideals.
The Trump campaign represents an attack on the history profession and the communities it serves. Historians have a professional responsibility to share an understanding of the past that is “factual, accurate, comprehensible, meaningful, useful, and resistant to cynical manipulators who sell snake oil as historical truth.” Donald Trump’s contempt for evidence-based argumentation, historical analysis and accountability mocks the best values of the academy.
Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is a campaign of violence—against individuals and groups, and against historical memory and historical fact. HISTAT is participating in the peaceful protests of the RNC and will continue its work into the fall, publishing essays and articles that place Trumpism into historical perspective. We invite you to learn more about our organization and sign our open letter at http://www.historiansagainsttrump.org.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says