Bernie Sanders picks Cornel West to help write Democratic platformBreaking News
tags: election 2016, Bernie Sanders, Cornel West
15 people will have the job of drafting the Democratic Party's 2016 platform. Bernie Sanders' campaign picked 5 of them (a highly unusual amount of influence for a candidate who's unlikely to win the nomination). Among his picks: public intellectual and political critic Cornel West.
The pick is only surprising to those who think of "black voters" as a monolith, and assume that (imaginary) monolith is solidly in the Democratic column. That's exactly the sort of lazy thinking that West, and other black intellectuals who've endorsed and are campaigning with Bernie Sanders, are trying to break people of.
As West and company see it, the fact that black voters reliably support Democrats isn't necessarily born out of contentedness or even by choice. To them, the Democratic Party, and the middle-class black establishment that supports it, has coasted for far too long on empty gestures to black voters, and on the uncomforting fact that they have nowhere to go. As Hillary Clinton's been praised for her outreach to black voters in 2016, these intellectuals see it as proof that the cycle's simply repeating itself.
comments powered by Disqus
- Alabama-based League of the South launches Russian-language page to promote 'Southern nationalism'
- Young Jews Are Rebelling on Israeli Heritage Trips
- City Releases Trove of Documents in Central Park Jogger Case
- Kavanaugh: Watergate tapes decision may have been wrong
- Facebook Puts Holocaust Denial Groups in Top Search Results
- Historian Rick Shenkman on Donald Trump: “All the worst things in American history piled together”
- Patty Limerick criticizes History Colorado for 'history lite' exhibits
- Scholar says Leviticus 1.0 didn’t demonize same-sex relationships
- Martha Jones sets the record straight about birthright citizenship
- Max Boot: This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond