Historian Says Newly Released Letters Show Reagan Left Liberalism When Communists InfiltratedHistorians in the News
tags: Communism, Reagan
A recently released exchange of letters between Ronald Reagan and an older Soviet émigré, Lola Kinel Shipman, sheds new light on when and why Reagan shifted from being a supporter of the Popular Front to becoming a strong anti-Communist liberal. After World War II, Reagan wrote:
[I was] blindly and busily joining every organization I could find that would guarantee to save the world.
Reagan became a member, and then leader, of two major groups: the American Veterans Committee, and the Hollywood Independent Citizens Committee of the Arts (known as HICCASP, which he later said sounded “like the cough of a dying man”). But Reagan -- as my wife and I showed in our book Red Star Over Hollywood -- quickly found that these and other Popular Front groups were dominated by Communist Party members, who eventually took them over and tried to get members to follow a pro-Soviet foreign policy.
The newly found letter, sold by historical documents center RAAB, reveals that Reagan’s strong opposition to communism led him to change his political views to conservatism. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- New Evidence on the US Response to Decolonization in Indonesia, Southeast Asia
- The Transcontinental Railroad, African Americans and the California Dream
- The 50th Anniversary of Warren Burger's Appointment as Chief Supreme Court Justice
- House Democrats, With Pelosi’s Support, Will Consider a Commission on Reparations
- The House Hearing on Slavery Reparations Is Part of a Long History. Here's What to Know on the Idea's Tireless Early Advocates
- Mary Fulbrook Wins Wolfson History Prize 2019 for Revelatory Holocaust Study Reckonings
- Trump and the Changing Power of the Presidency with William Howell
- Historian and Civil Rights Activist Paul Gaston Dies at 91
- How Accurate is HBO's Chernobyl? Experts Weigh In
- Anthony Price, British author of thrillers with deep links to history, dies at 90