The Most Memorable Contested ConventionsBreaking News
tags: election 2016, contested convention
There hasn’t been a contested or brokered convention in either party since 1976 but it’s increasingly likely there will be one on the Republican side this year. Only Donald Trump seems to have a chance at reaching the 1,238 delegates he needs by the end of the primaries, but there is a concerted effort by Ted Cruz, John Kasich and party leaders to stop him. It’s not event clear that if he technically wins a majority that his delegates will stick with him.
Since the Civil War, the Republican party has had eight candidates which took multiple ballots to decide while the Democratic party has had ten.
comments powered by Disqus
- Lost in Battle, Found by Amateur Sleuths: An ‘Unknown’ Marine
- Princeton to Name Two Campus Spaces in Honor of Slaves
- What Happened to the Plan to Put Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill?
- What Does Invoking The 25th Amendment Actually Look Like?
- Paul Allen’s team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943
- Mary Beard cut from US version of “Civilisations"
- Timothy Garton Ash: "We have six months to foil Brexit. And here’s how we can do it.”
- Why the Pulitzer Prize committee keeps ignoring women’s history
- No, we're not reliving the 1960s, says Harvard historian Arne Westad
- 2018 Pulitzers in History, Biography and Nonfiction Go to ...