Trump on retweeting questionable quote: ‘What difference does it make whether it’s Mussolini’Breaking News
tags: election 2016, Trump
Amid an early Sunday morning retweeting spree, Donald Trump shared this quote with his nearly 6.5 million Twitter followers: "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep."
The quote was originally tweeted by the account of @ilduce2016 and attributed to Trump. The proper attribution: Benito Mussolini, the Italian fascist dictator.
The Twitter account is a satirical one. The profile photo features Mussolini with a head of Trump-style hair, and the account has tweeted nearly 2,000 Mussolini quotes attributed to @realDonaldTrump, along with the hashtag #MakeAmericaGreatAgain.
The account was started by two staffers at the gossip website Gawker, Ashley Feinberg and Adam Pash, who created a Twitter bot late last year that would post Mussolini quotes attributed to Trump in hopes that the candidate would retweet one of them, according to an article posted on the site on Sunday morning and linked to from the parody account.
"We set a trap for Trump," the article states. "We came up with the idea for that Mussolini bot under the assumption that Trump would retweet just about anything, no matter how dubious or vile the source, as long as it sounded like praise for himself."
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama