Trump on retweeting questionable quote: ‘What difference does it make whether it’s Mussolini’Breaking News
tags: election 2016, Trump
Amid an early Sunday morning retweeting spree, Donald Trump shared this quote with his nearly 6.5 million Twitter followers: "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep."
The quote was originally tweeted by the account of @ilduce2016 and attributed to Trump. The proper attribution: Benito Mussolini, the Italian fascist dictator.
The Twitter account is a satirical one. The profile photo features Mussolini with a head of Trump-style hair, and the account has tweeted nearly 2,000 Mussolini quotes attributed to @realDonaldTrump, along with the hashtag #MakeAmericaGreatAgain.
The account was started by two staffers at the gossip website Gawker, Ashley Feinberg and Adam Pash, who created a Twitter bot late last year that would post Mussolini quotes attributed to Trump in hopes that the candidate would retweet one of them, according to an article posted on the site on Sunday morning and linked to from the parody account.
"We set a trap for Trump," the article states. "We came up with the idea for that Mussolini bot under the assumption that Trump would retweet just about anything, no matter how dubious or vile the source, as long as it sounded like praise for himself."
comments powered by Disqus
- Human Evolution: Walking Upright Evolved at Least 3.6 Million Years Ago—Long Before Modern Humans Appeared
- Why a primary challenge to Trump is likely to fail
- Smog and Disasters Spurred the Laws Trump Wants to Undo
- After Sylvester Stallone Call, Trump Considers ‘Full Pardon’ of Long-Dead Black Boxer
- Disclosed: Journalist helped defuse a budding conflict between the US and Cuba in 1964
- Dartmouth historian Matthew J. Garcia says conservative partisans in Arizona have taken over a civics school he once ran
- Berkeley’s Carolyn Merchant explains what ecofeminism is
- University of Southern California's David Kang says Korea is the only place on earth where the Cold War continues
- W.R. Smyser, U.S. diplomat turned historian of postwar Germany, dies at 86
- Max Boot: North Korea is conning Donald Trump yet again