Bernie Sanders had 'no intention of becoming a Democrat'Breaking News
tags: election 2016, Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders who is running neck and neck with Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination explicitly ruled out ever joining the party, documents show.
Mr Sanders outright refusal to consider becoming a Democrat emerged in the archive of his papers at the University of Vermont in Burlington, the town he served as Mayor from 1981-89.
The independent socialist Senator for Vermont made his feelings clear in a letter written in July 1988 - during his first, unsuccessful congressional run - to Derek Shearer, an academic at Occidental College, Los Angeles, who also served as US ambassador to Finland.
comments powered by Disqus
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- How a team of sophisticated forgers at an Essex country house fooled the Nazis
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law
- How One Amateur Historian Brought Us the Stories of African-Americans Who Knew Abraham Lincoln
- History Coalition asks historians to "Urge Your Representative to Join the Congressional History Caucus"
- Dartmouth’s Randall Balmer: Under Trump, America's religious right is rewriting its code of ethics
- Was This Technology historian plagiarized? Sure seems like she was.