Reagan Historian Craig Shirley Thinks Trump, or Cruz Could Beat HillaryHistorians in the News
tags: election 2016, Ted Cruz, Trump
Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley referenced a recent interview, saying that Donald Trump may be ushering in a new form of conservatism as a guest today on Breitbart News Daily with Stephen K. Bannon.
Shirley adds that Trump is “kind of evolving on the road and that’s interesting to see as an historian. He hasn’t fully fleshed out his Republicanism, or his Conservatism. So, it remains to be seen what final permutation it’s going to take.”
Shirley said that he thinks Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) could likely reassemble the old so-called Reagan coalition to beat Hillary, while adding that Trump’s “developing” conservatism, which he termed “Trumpism” could likely also beat her and perhaps even more handily.
Shirley said Trump is not in the mold of a traditional populist Federalist type of Conservative. “He doesn’t talk about the individual as much as Reagan did, or say Ted Cruz does. But he does talk about things that are very interesting in terms of the 21st century.” In that sense, Shirley seemed to be suggesting it could be time for a “new” conservatism in line with where Trump appears to be heading. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Industrial Toxins
- Did Abraham Lincoln sleep here?
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- The next president of the OAH will be ... Yale's Joanne Meyerowitz
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority