Whiteness History Month coming to Portland Community College in AprilBreaking News
tags: Whiteness History Month, Portland Community College, whiteness studies
Whiteness History Month won't focus on whites as a group of people, according to PCC spokeswoman Kate Chester. The discussions will center on "whiteness as a social construct."
Chester said the school planned to publicize the month-long agenda once it was completed in early February. But some conservative news organizations picked up the story Monday, Martin Luther King Jr Day, and the story went viral with headlines saying the school planned a month of "whiteness-shaming."
PCC said that's not the case. "There's a difference between white and whiteness," Chester said in an interview, "and that might be what some of the conservative bloggers don't understand."
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says