England Weighs Its Own Anthem to Rival ‘God Save the Queen’Breaking News
tags: England, God Save the Queen
For two centuries the national anthem here has been a somber plea for the monarch’s longevity, and “God Save the Queen” is routinely sung as England’s sports teams line up for international matches.
But now the anthem, and not just the sovereign, may be in need of saving.
On Wednesday, lawmakers agreed to debate in March a bill that, while not scrapping “God Save the Queen,” would create another anthem to be played before England’s teams take on foreign rivals.
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Should the U.S. Favor Public Health or the Economy? History Shows they’re Inseparable
- Future Historians Will Rely on Wikipedia’s COVID-19 Coverage
- Reparations – Has the Time Finally Come?