Persian (or Arabian) Gulf Is Caught in the Middle of Regional RivalriesBreaking News
tags: Iran, Saudi Arabia, Persian Gulf, Arabian Gulf
What’s in a name?
History, politics and pride.
Tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia have been escalating on many fronts — over wars in Syria and Yemen, the Saudis’ execution of a dissident Shiite cleric and the Iran nuclear deal. The dispute runs so deep that the regional rivals — one a Shiite theocracy, the other a Sunni monarchy — even clash over the name of the body of water that separates them.
Is it the Persian Gulf? Or the Arabian Gulf?
comments powered by Disqus
- The Myth of North America, in One Painting
- When an Enemy’s Cultural Heritage Becomes One’s Own
- The Country’s Oldest Chinatown is Fighting for its Life in San Francisco
- Jonathan Pollard: Revisiting a Still Sensitive Case
- Finding the Last Ship Known to have Brought Enslaved Africans to America and the Descendants of its Survivors