The 10 richest people of all timeBreaking News
tags: inequality, wealth
Who had more money, John D. Rockefeller or Genghis Khan? It’s a simple question with a very difficult answer.
This ranking of the richest people of all time is based on hours of interviews with academic economists and historians. To read more about how the order was determined despite the difficulty of comparing wealth across a wide range of time periods and economic systems, read this.
But for now, suffice to say that the following is a rigorous but highly debatable attempt to list the wealthiest historical figures in order of their economic influence.
10. Genghis Kahn9. Bill Gates8. Alan Rufus (a.k.a. Alan the Red)7. John D. Rockefeller6. Andrew Carnegie5. Joseph Stalin4. Akbar I3. Emperor Shenzong2. Augustus Caesar1. Mansa Musa, the king of Timbuktu
comments powered by Disqus
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency