House Committee Action to Eliminate NHPRCHistorians in the News
SAA learned this morning from the National Coalition for History that the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which oversees NARA, will take up a bill tomorrow morning to address the recent data breach at the Office of Personnel Management. Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, who introduced the bill, proposes to offset the costs associated with implementing it by eliminating the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. With markup certain today, we thought it important to notify you of this situation with an understanding that it will be very important to take action – both as individuals and collectively – when this bill comes before the House. We will notify you as soon as we’re aware of that timing. SAA is communicating with the Council of State Archivists and the National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators regarding this situation and further action.
comments powered by Disqus
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Industrial Toxins
- Did Abraham Lincoln sleep here?
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- The next president of the OAH will be ... Yale's Joanne Meyerowitz
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority