And now this, ISIS?Breaking News
tags: ISIS, ISIL
Related Link ISIS Destroys More Artifacts in Syria and Iraq (NYT)
Dear Iraqi Architects, Archaeologists and Friends World-Wide
This is to inform you of the latest sad news that the so-called “Islamic State” or ISIS, has recently demolished a little-known but important tomb building that dated back to the middle 13th century, probably even to the Abbasid Era. The Tomb was locally known as that of a certain Imam Ismail and located about 11 kilometers west of Hawija Town in Kirkuk Province and not far from the archaeological ruins of al-Bawazij Islamic Town near the Lesser Zab River. The destruction is confirmed be photographs.
Again, this is a terrible and tragic addition to ISIS’s long list of never-ending and incomprehensible destruction of some of Iraq’s and Syria’s most important historic monuments.
Iraqi Architect and Heritage Expert
comments powered by Disqus
- It’s the 50th anniversary of the day Trump left college and (briefly) faced the draft
- Hitler Did Not Escape to the Moon or Argentina, He’s Still Dead, Study Concludes
- Former New Orleans mayor presented with JFK award for removing Confederate statues
- Which is the greatest 'witch hunt' in US political history?
- A Fake Site Posted an Apology for the Mormon Church’s History of Racism
- Yuval Noah Harari: Brexit will not halt drive to 'human unification'
- When did the Census begin to ask about citizenship?
- Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’
- Howard M. Sachar, GWU scholar and ‘trailblazer’ of Jewish history, dies at 90