Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retireHistorians in the News
tags: Columbia University
The number of undergraduate American history courses taught by tenured professors has declined 44 percent over the past three years, resulting in increased reliance on visiting and adjunct professors to maintain course offerings.
This marks a period of transition for the storied department, which has been regarded as a leader in the field of study for its deep bench of prominent scholars.
Many of these professors are set to depart in the next few years including Professors Eric Foner, Kenneth Jackson, Herbert Sloan and Alan Brinkley. Professor Alice Kessler-Harris is set to depart in June 2016.
Many of these professors have gradually phased out teaching undergraduate lecture courses as they have gone on leave or prepared for retirement. For example, Brinkley hasn’t taught a course since fall 2014, and Barnard History professor Mark Carnes hasn’t taught since spring 2014.
This means that a growing number of courses in the department are being taught by visiting professors or junior faculty members....
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of