Notre Dame Professor criticizes school president's pro-gay policyHistorians in the News
tags: Notre Dame, LGBT
An orthodox Notre Dame professor gave out the email address of the school president publicly Tuesday night after the nation’s flagship Catholic university announced it would extend benefits to same-sex couples.
The Rev. Wilson D. Miscamble, C.S.C., a professor of United States history at Notre Dame, urged one young alumni member in the audience at the Catholic Information Center to send an email to President John Jenkins, C.S.C. “Write directly to Father Jenkins. That’s the best person to write to. Now it’s not clear that he’s going to [respond]. If you write email@example.com, that goes to the staff. But get his own email address: firstname.lastname@example.org,” Miscamble said, drawing nervous laughter from the crowd of three to four dozen.
Miscamble, 61, specializes in American diplomatic and foreign policy history and wrote an acclaimed book on U.S. strategist George Kennan. For his hour-long lecture, Miscamble drew material from “For Notre Dame: Battling for the Heart and Soul of a Catholic University,” a collection of essays and reflections that criticize the school for failing to adhere to core Church teachings.
His book has generated interviews and stories in conservative and traditional Catholic media outlets, and news of his talk prompted several influential Catholics in Washington to head downtown on a rainy, cool evening. The attendees included Father Arne Panula, director of the Catholic Information Center; Arina Grossu, director of the Center for Human Dignity at the Family Research Council; and John Gehring, Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a progressive religious nonprofit...
comments powered by Disqus
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Geneticist at Harvard Medical School has retrieved DNA from more than 900 ancient people.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism
- Q: “Sir, would you like a history of this monument?” A: “F**k You!”
- Russian gulag historian faces 9 years in prison
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa