Oprah Winfrey Will Portray Annie Lee Cooper in Civil Rights Drama SelmaBreaking News
tags: civil rights, Annie Lee Cooper
Ava DuVernay, the independent film director known for 2011’s I Will Follow and 2012’s Middle of Nowhere, has another big name added to the cast of her Martin Luther King Jr. feature drama, Selma.
According to The Wrap, Oprah Winfrey will portray freedom fighter Annie Lee Cooper. Cooper, a Selma, Ala., native, who died in November 2010 at 100 years old, stood in line for hours in an attempt to register to vote at the Dallas County Courthouse during the civil rights movement.
comments powered by Disqus
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- How American High Schools Teach The Iraq War
- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained
- Florida to replace Confederate statue in US Capitol
- 43% of Americans still think the Iraq War was a good idea
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa
- University of Chicago’s Hanna Holborn Gray has written a memoir
- Historians’ assessment of Obama’s legacy
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history