Neo-Confederate ties haunt South Carolina Lt. Gov.'s new college jobBreaking News
tags: South Carolina, reenactment, neo-Confederates, reenactors
On Saturday, the college's Board of Trustees announced that it had voted to offer the job to Glenn McConnell, the current Republican lieutenant governor of South Carolina.
Minutes after an email announcing the choice went out to the campus community, students at the college "viscerally reacted over social media voicing their disapproval," according to the student-run Cistern Yard News. A few hours later, a few dozen students gathered on campus to protest.
The Confederacy thing is no secret. McConnell is a longtime Civil War re-enactor. On the biography page he has up on his personal website, under "community involvement/clubs," McConnell lists the Sons of Confederate Veterans -- a national organization "devoted exclusively to commemorating and honoring Confederate soldiers." And for years, until it closed in 2009, McConnell and his brother ran a Charleston store that specialized in Confederate memorabilia....
comments powered by Disqus
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Geneticist at Harvard Medical School has retrieved DNA from more than 900 ancient people.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism
- Q: “Sir, would you like a history of this monument?” A: “F**k You!”
- Russian gulag historian faces 9 years in prison
- “Civilisations" presenter David Olusoga blames Winston Churchill for war crimes in Africa