Jon Meacham apologizes for comments on ObamaHistorians in the News
tags: Jon Meacham
NEW YORK -- A Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer is apologizing for saying on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that Franklin Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln did not attempt to "rebuild" the country through executive orders, which President Obama advocated this week as an alternative to getting legislation enacted.
Jon Meacham wrote in an email Thursday to The Associated Press that he was at best "imprecise" and at worst "just plain wrong." Many commentators noted that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order and that Roosevelt advanced numerous New Deal initiatives through executive orders....
comments powered by Disqus
- Chris Hayes on How Police Treat Black Americans like Colonial Subjects
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea