Jon Meacham apologizes for comments on ObamaHistorians in the News
tags: Jon Meacham
NEW YORK -- A Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer is apologizing for saying on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that Franklin Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln did not attempt to "rebuild" the country through executive orders, which President Obama advocated this week as an alternative to getting legislation enacted.
Jon Meacham wrote in an email Thursday to The Associated Press that he was at best "imprecise" and at worst "just plain wrong." Many commentators noted that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order and that Roosevelt advanced numerous New Deal initiatives through executive orders....
comments powered by Disqus
- Jeff Sessions: DOJ Not Like The Nazis Because They Were Trying To Keep ‘Jews From Leaving’
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Stanley Fish says historians are deluded in thinking their training gives them special insights in politics that should be passed on to students (and others)
- Guest historian this week: Paul Krugman, the economist!
- US Senator (and historian) Ben Sasse has denounced the policy of separating children from parents at the border
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62