Jon Meacham apologizes for comments on ObamaHistorians in the News
tags: Jon Meacham
NEW YORK -- A Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer is apologizing for saying on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that Franklin Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln did not attempt to "rebuild" the country through executive orders, which President Obama advocated this week as an alternative to getting legislation enacted.
Jon Meacham wrote in an email Thursday to The Associated Press that he was at best "imprecise" and at worst "just plain wrong." Many commentators noted that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was an executive order and that Roosevelt advanced numerous New Deal initiatives through executive orders....
comments powered by Disqus
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel