Portrait of Deng as Reformer in 1978 Plenum Ignores HistoryBreaking News
tags: China, Deng Xiaoping
China’s Communist Party leader, Xi Jinping, wants the late Deng Xiaoping’s magic. Mr. Xi will lay out proposals for economic rejuvenation at a leadership conference that started Saturday, and state-run media have likened the event to a historic meeting in 1978 when, they say, Mr. Deng began an era of market “reform and opening up.”
But anyone looking for inspiration and instruction from Mr. Deng should beware: the conventional account of the 1978 meeting is a compound of selective memories, and a deceptive guide to how China’s steps to economic transformation really happened.
“To put a halo on this meeting as a conference of reform and opening up is to concoct a myth,” Bao Tong, a former aide to ousted party secretary Zhao Ziyang, a central figure in the tumult of the 1980s, said in an interview with a Chinese researcher published in 2008....
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Getting Us Ready to Fight a Nuclear War
- Monticello Is Done Avoiding Jefferson’s Relationship With Sally Hemings
- Sessions cites Bible passage used to defend slavery in defense of separating immigrant families
- Trump-Kim Deal Promises Answers for Families of Korean War M.I.A.s
- Massachusetts High School Apologizes After Nazi Quote Is Printed in Yearbook
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying
- Wiliam Reese, Leading Seller of Rare Books, Is Dead at 62
- Alisse Theodore points out that women first became politically active in the fight against Andrew Jackson’s genocidal Indian Removal campaign
- More fallout from SHAFR's decision to invite David Petraeus as keynote speaker
- ‘EU is weakest world power’ Niall Ferguson says