Antarctic: Where 'zombies' thrive and shipwrecks are preservedBreaking News
tags: shipwrecks, Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic exploration, zombies, Antarctica
Ernest Shackleton's famous ship, the Endurance, which he had to abandon in 1915 on his ill-fated Antarctic expedition, is probably still in very good condition on the ocean floor.
This is one conclusion from research that studied how sunken wood degrades in southern polar waters.
Experiments that submerged planks for over a year found they returned to the surface in near-pristine condition.
Scientists point to the absence in the region of wood-boring "ship worms"....
comments powered by Disqus
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency