Antarctic: Where 'zombies' thrive and shipwrecks are preservedBreaking News
tags: shipwrecks, Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic exploration, zombies, Antarctica
Ernest Shackleton's famous ship, the Endurance, which he had to abandon in 1915 on his ill-fated Antarctic expedition, is probably still in very good condition on the ocean floor.
This is one conclusion from research that studied how sunken wood degrades in southern polar waters.
Experiments that submerged planks for over a year found they returned to the surface in near-pristine condition.
Scientists point to the absence in the region of wood-boring "ship worms"....
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Should the U.S. Favor Public Health or the Economy? History Shows they’re Inseparable
- Future Historians Will Rely on Wikipedia’s COVID-19 Coverage
- Reparations – Has the Time Finally Come?