Weber State's Susan Matt teaches Germans how to smileHistorians in the News
tags: Germany, Susan Matt, Weber State University, Organization of American Historians
OGDEN — “There are only two kinds of people who smile all the time: fools and Americans.”
“It’s a great, old Russian saying,” said Susan Matt, Weber State University history department chairwoman and professor. “Americans tend to seem happy all the time, even if they are not, underneath.”
Matt just returned from an Organization of American Historians fellowship that took her to Germany to teach a university course about emotions in United States history.
And although most of her students at the University of Tübingen were fluent in English, Matt did encounter the occasional cultural divide.
“I would say something and pause for a laugh, and there would be deafening silence,” Matt recalled with a laugh. “I would realize that a joke didn’t translate. So I suggested someone write a paper on American humor, and the differences between German and American humor.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 19340s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency