Professor Anthea Butler calls God a 'white racist' in blog about Zimmerman trialHistorians in the News
tags: racism, Race, Anthea Butler, UPI, George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin
The not guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman case has me thinking a lot about a book I first encountered in seminary, Is God a White Racist?, by the Rev. Dr. Bill Jones. As a budding seminary student, it took me by surprise. Now, as a wiser, older professor looking at the needless death of Trayvon Martin, I have to say: I get it.
God ain’t good all of the time. In fact, sometimes, God is not for us. As a black woman in a nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god. As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.
When George Zimmerman told Sean Hannity that it was God’s will that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, he was diving right into what most good conservative Christians in America think right now. Whatever makes them protected, safe, and secure, is worth it at the expense of the black and brown people they fear....
comments powered by Disqus
- Conservatives are pressing Trump to demand North Korea return the USS Pueblo
- Scholars say it’s time to rethink the way the Holocaust is taught
- Prison records from 1800s Georgia show mass incarceration’s racially charged beginnings
- It’s the 50th anniversary of the day Trump left college and (briefly) faced the draft
- Hitler Did Not Escape to the Moon or Argentina, He’s Still Dead, Study Concludes
- Chapel Hill’s Jay M. Smith says school administrators are scared of academic freedom
- Yuval Noah Harari: Brexit will not halt drive to 'human unification'
- When did the Census begin to ask about citizenship?
- As historians and New York City educators, here’s what we hope teachers hear in New York City's new anti-bias training
- Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’