Tea PartyTeachers' Edition: Grades 9-12 (Lesson Plans)
Common Core Standards: Reading standards for literacy in history/social studies 6-12. For grades 11-12: standards 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9.
Readings/Resources: HNN backgrounder with reading guide (assigned for first day); The Century: The 1970s, by ABC News (segment on busing—teacher must acquire); YouTube videos: Tea Party, Proposition 13; Teacher Background sheet; excerpt, The New Right, by Richard Viguerie, with reading guide; slide on the 70s conservative backlash; relevant section(s) of a U.S. history textbook
1. Bell ringer: Watch video clip on the Tea Party, followed by
2. Check for prior knowledge, survey class for grasp of left vs. right (www.politicalcompass.org is useful). Have the class discuss the Tea Party knowledge sheet, completed for class.
3. The 1970s and the New Right (See teacher background sheet on the ‘70s):
Essential question: To what extent is the Tea Party consistent with the politics of the New Right?
5. Summary/enrichment: A written assignment in which students lay out their comparisons of the historical contexts, with thesis and specific evidence.
Departing question: How can the contemporary historical context explain the differences between the New Right and the Tea Party?
comments powered by Disqus
- Polish attorney general’s office calls Holocaust law unconstitutional
- Will Trump break American democracy?
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Last Fall This Scholar Defended Colonialism. Now He’s Defending Himself.
- Jim Loewen is helping teachers teach difficult historical topics tied to race relations
- Historian (and US Senator) Ben Sasse writing book on polarization
- Historian: The Heavy Burden of Teaching My Son About American Racism
- Teachers are using ‘Black Panther’ to discuss African colonialism and American racism