SOURCE: The Conversation
Autonomous Robot Weapons Could be More Destabilizing than Nukes
by James Dawes
"Imagine a world in which militaries, insurgent groups and international and domestic terrorists can deploy theoretically unlimited lethal force at theoretically zero risk at times and places of their choosing, with no resulting legal accountability."
October 22, 2019
DeepMind AI Beats Human Historians at Deciphering Ancient Texts
by Edward Ongweso Jr
University of Oxford researchers are using machine learning to help make ancient text restoration less tedious.
SOURCE: ZD Net
Now Microsoft wants to use AI to save history
Microsoft creates a program that aims to use AI to preserve the world's cultures in the face of globalisation.
SOURCE: The Sociable
AI and Machine Learning open new possibilities into JFK assassination research
Now researchers don’t have to read every document to find out what’s in them.
The Future of Work, a History
by Kevin Baker
America has a long, complicated track record of dreading that robots would take our jobs.
SOURCE: USA Today
Stephen Hawking: AI could be 'worst event in the history of our civilization'
Elon Musk isn't the only high-profile figure concerned about the rise of artificial intelligence.
SOURCE: Science World Report
Yuval Noah Harari turns to fiction
In the novel, "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow,” the historian warns that Artificial Intelligence will lead to a future class of useless humans.
SOURCE: Business Insider
Microsoft's latest AI experiment is refusing to look at photos of Adolf Hitler
After its last AI chatbot turned into a genocide-advocating, misogynistic, holocaust-denying racist, the company's latest project — a bot that tells you what's in photos — refuses to even look at photos of Adolf Hitler.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of