SOURCE: New York Times
Philippe Pétain's Legacy Haunts the Island Where He's Buried
The current French history wars have drawn battle lines over whether Pétain's service in the first world war or his collaboration during the second should be remembered.
A Legend of Innocence
by Daniel Solomon
Both the French left and right are impeding the teaching of how 75,000 French Jews were turned over to the Nazis.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
A Jewish Writer Kept a Secret Diary During the Nazi Occupation of France
by David Ball
It Offers an Important Lesson About History
Vichy Yearns to Shed Heavy Yoke of Past Shame
Ghosts of the dark years linger in what was once the collaborationist capital, though historians note the government was to blame, not the city.
- House Hearings on Campus Speech Show Different Perceptions of the Problem
- Mark Russell, DC's Piano-Playing Political Satirist, Dies at 90
- Trans Texans, Fearing Violence Inspired by Legislation and Rhetoric, Look to Armed Self-Defense
- How Paris Kicked out the Cars
- Vatican Repudiates "Doctrine of Discovery" that Justified Colonialism by Catholic Nations