Originally published 01/14/2016
So says Nikki Haley, governor of South Carolina.
Originally published 06/29/2015
In the wake of the Charleston murders, the campaign against the Confederate flag has morphed into attacks on other historical vestiges of the Confederacy itself. And anyone who cares about history should be alarmed by that.
Originally published 06/26/2015
South Carolina’s warped public display of its white-supremacist history confronts South Carolinians, white and black, with a stark message about who rules the state.
The burgeoning movement to take down the Confederate flag in South Carolina and other states is an important first step. Even after it is gone, however, the public display of history in South Carolina will remain biased and one-dimensional.
Originally published 10/17/2013
The current trial is just one of several planned.
Originally published 06/23/2015
Mark Byrnes's Facing Backwards
Yes, it's a symbol. That doesn't mean it doesn't matter. That is WHY it matters.
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- From King George IV to President Trump, The Fat Men Who’ve Ruled The World
- Here’s How One Family Prepared for Nuclear War in 1954
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term