Originally published 03/27/2015
Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
Demands to rename Tillman Hall at Clemson University, the circulation of a video showing a racist chant at the University of Oklahoma and the discovery of a fraternity pledge book discussing lynching at North Carolina State University demonstrate how persistent racial issues are on college campuses.
Originally published 02/13/2015
The building’s named for Ben Tillman, the virulent racist governor of South Carolina who watched while a black state senator was murdered.
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea